Orangeburg Plant Community Activities
We pledged to sponsor at least one educational project in each of our communities - a goal that none of the other chemical companies included. We're pleased to report that our Orangeburg employees have exceeded this goal. This year and in years past, our employees have given generously to the community.
The facility's supply chain and production scale ranges from an API delivered in 5-gallon bottles to rail car quantities of raw materials and products. The site has strategic access to warehousing and shipping from the United States' fourth largest container port in Charleston, South Carolina, just 80 miles from the plant.
- March of Dimes
- Relay for Life
SI Group's Orangeburg plant is committed to public education and career development. Employees participate in projects such as:
- Career Days/Mentors
Employees participate in career days at area high schools, technical colleges and universities, and they serve as mentors through programs organized by local schools and churches.
- "Educators in Industry" Program
For the past 10 years, our plant has hosted teachers, guidance counselors and administrators for a week during the summer. Participants share their new knowledge about the industry, employee skills and educational job requirements with their students.
- National Chemistry Week
Employees perform demonstrations in schools to show students how fun science can be.
- Plant Tours
Plant tours help teach high school, technical college and university students the importance of education and communication skills, and how they are applied in industry.
- Community Advisory Panel
We are committed to ongoing communication with and education of the community. The Community Advisory Panel (CAP) was formed to serve as a vehicle for candid dialogue between SI Group and Orangeburg residents. It also helps us develop action plans and educational programs for the community.
- Other SI Group education programs include: "Shadowing," in which high school and junior college students work with employees for a day; and "Co-op" where students work at SI Group while earning technical degrees.
Orangeburg employees are involved in many local organizations, demonstrating our community leadership and commitment to education.
- Board of the Industrial Technology Program at South Carolina State University
- Board of the Orangeburg District Five School-to-Work Program
- Chairman of the Board of the Orangeburg-Calhoun Technical College Foundation
- Chairman of the Education Committee of the Chamber of Commerce
- President of the Orangeburg Area Training Managers Association
Orangeburg plant employees are also involved in local and national volunteer opportunities, including:
- American Cancer Society
- American Heart Association
- Edisto Habitat for Humanity
- Junior Achievement
- March of Dimes
- Orangeburg-Calhoun Technical College Foundation
- Orangeburg County Chamber of Commerce
- Regional Medical Center Foundation